Theo Francken is 38 years old, father of two children and Secretary of State for Asylum and Migration, with responsibility for Administrative Simplification. During his first legislature at the House of Representatives, he excelled in “his” fields of expertise which are asylum and migration, defence as well as monarchy.
A man with a mission
Follower of Bourgeois
Theo launched his career at the Rue de la Loi in 2001. Newly graduated from pedagogical studies at the KU Leuven, he was hired among the staff of political groups in the Flemish Parliament. As of 2004, he learnt the ropes of politics in the Flemish minister’s office of Geert Bourgeois. He was first appointed political advisor in the fields of education, employment, sports and integration, and later Deputy Chief of Staff for Integration and for the Vlaamse Rand. Building on almost 10 years of experience at the Rue de la Loi, he was elected for the first time on 13 June 2010 at the House of Representatives. On Saturday 11 October 2014, Theo took an oath as Secretary of State for Asylum and Migration, with responsibility for Administrative Simplification.
Thanks to his political talent, his determination and in particular his hard work, Theo also succeeded in becoming Mayor of Lubbeek, his hometown, which was no easy task. When Theo created the local section with a few like-minded fellow villagers in 2001, there was no Flemish nationalist tradition in the Liberal dominated Lubbeek. After five difficult years, it was therefore a huge disappointment when the N‑VA missed only just one seat in the 2006 local elections.
Nevertheless, a Flemish lion can never be tamed. The section drew new members, became more professional and worked hard to make a name for itself by drawing attention to important issues such as the new festival hall and the library.
Support for Flanders
On 14 October 2012, the people of Lubbeek overwhelmingly chose for a change in their town. The N-VA became the main party there by winning no less than 26% of the votes in one fell swoop. Since then, Theo has been surrounded by a team of seasoned town councillors with whom he works on change on a day-to-day basis in a positive and constructive atmosphere in order to move forward. Now Theo is Secretary of State, N-VA town councillor Tania Roskams, in charge in particular of urban planning, housing, workforce and tourism, became acting Mayor.
Secretary of State for Asylum and Migration with responsibility for Administrative Simplification, official mayor of Lubbeek, member of the party leadership, father of two, ... All these different hats can be hard to reconcile, but the Theo’s enthusiasm remains strong despite everything. All his work has focused on a better society and a stronger Flanders.
CURRENT POSITIONS IN THE N-VA
- Member of the council of the party
- Member of the party leadership
- Member of the steering committee of district for the region of Leuven
- Board Member N-VA Lubbeek
- Master’s Degree in Pedagogical Science (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 2001)
Secretary of State for Asylum and Migration with responsibility for Administrative Simplification since 11 October 2014 - …
- MP since 2010 - 2014
- Deputy Chief of Staff for the Flemish Deputy Minister President’s Bourgeois for Integration and the Vlaamse Rand (2009-2010)
- Scientific research worker for the VU group in the Flemish Parliament (2001-2004)
- Advisor for the Flemish Minister Bourgeois (2004-2008)
- Scientific research worker for the N-VA group in the Flemish Parliament (2008-2009)
- Member of the OHL Leuven-Centraal/Den Bakkaree supporters club
- Member of the Iris Tennis Academy in Kessel-Lo
- Member of the Davidsfonds Linden
- Member of ROB-TV General Assembly